During my apprenticeship as a software developer (~2000ish) I got together with other people from school and we set out to program a game.
I was in charge of doing the 3D engine and here are the results of the first attempt:
The terrain was based on a .tga file that looked like this:
Based on the first experiences I wrote a second engine so we could start having more user interaction. That needed some UI components that I’ve mocked-up:
The second iteration looks like it was a step back, but it actually allowed me to prototype things faster. At least it would have, school ended and so did the time to work on this.