During my apprenticeship as a software developer (~2000ish) I got together with other people from school and we set out to program a game.
I was in charge of doing the 3D engine and here are the results of the first attempt:
The terrain was based on a .tga file that looked like this:
Based on the first experiences I wrote a second engine so we could start having more user interaction. That needed some UI components that I’ve mocked-up:
Loading objects with transparencies Transparency Transparency with moving objects Transparent window Transparent windows with updating text Monochrome with transparency Transparent window Window ordering Statistics
The second iteration looks like it was a step back, but it actually allowed me to prototype things faster. At least it would have, school ended and so did the time to work on this.